Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My hen won't poop and she is breathing through her open beak.

Customer Question

my hen won't poop and she is breathing through her open beak. i checked and i don't think she is egg bound
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you clarify for me if Rosie Violet is trying to poop but can't or is she just not pooping? Her floppy comb indicates dehydration and her open beak breathing is a sign of a shocky bird or respiratory compromise. If you lost another hen last week there's reason to believe that something infectious is present in Rosie but her symptoms aren't specific enough to identify that infectious agent. If you have a sizeable flock, having a newly dead (or critically ill bird sacrificed) hen necropsied is often the only way to know how to treat the rest of your flock. The carcass should be refrigerated (not frozen) until it can be brought to your vet who can arrange for a necropy to be performed or brought to your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory if you're lucky enough to have such a laboratory in your county. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the differential diagnoses.Please give me an update on Rosie Violet if you wish, Lynette.
Hi Lynette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rosie Violet. How is everything going?