Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My one year old hen has been in the nesting box days

Customer Question

My one year old hen has been in the nesting box for two days without coming out to eat or drink . No rooster just hens in my coop . Is she sick ?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Possibly...but she may also be broody. Please review this article: and let me know if you think Prytania is a broody hen.Illness in hens can manifest in myriad ways. The classical symptoms of sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, increased respiratory rate, pale comb/wattle, regurgitation/vomiting, diarrhea, lameness/paresis (weakness)/paralysis help clarify the illness but oftentimes sudden death is the other symptom that tells me that a hen was ill. Please let me know if you've see any of these symptoms in Prytania.