Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

One of our sweet chickens is having trouble walking. one leg

Customer Question

One of our sweet chickens is having trouble walking. one leg not working very well. acts like foot is tender and knee? is tender. What can we do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has she had these signs?Can she voluntarily move the leg?Can she place it onto the ground normally (even if for a moment)?Is there any wounds, swellings, instability or boney crunching as you palpate the leg?Any changes to the bottom of the foot?Do the joints feel stiff or sore for her as you flex and extend them (you can compare them to the good leg's joints)?Any history of trauma or injury? Access to toxins? Any fever?