Dr. Gary, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  2 plus years as a bird vet

Oegb rooster with a traumatic eye injury from another rooster.

Customer Question

Oegb rooster with a traumatic eye injury from another rooster. I have penicillin g to give IM in the breast. 22 g needles and 1 cc syringe. When I try to give the shot in the breast muscle the plunger will not depress at all. When I pull it out of the muscle to check the medicine will come out of the needle fine. The only way the medicine will go in is if I pull the plunger back (while inserted in breast) to .08 cc and then there is not any resistance. Please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Currently administering .04 cc bid. Every 12 hr. I just want to make sure I am not hurting him more with the shot. He is going to lose function of the eye due to the injury. There are not any avian vets in my area. This is the suggested dose from a companion animal vet that is off today.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. The actual dose for birds is 100 mg per kg body weight every 24-48 hours. I would go with that dose vs the twice daily dosing, as we can see toxicity from the Procaine in Pen G when dosed more frequently. The drug is pretty thick, so you may have better luck with a 20 g needle vs a 22. I would always aspirate back before giving it. This is to make sure you don't hit a blood vessel and give it IV. If you're having a hard time in the breast muscle, you can give it into a thigh muscle instead. Ultimately, the best option is to see a vet to have the eye removed surgically. This will remove the source of infection and then no antibiotics are needed. You could call around to day vets. Many of them are comfortable with avian medicine and they would be able to do the surgery fairly quickly and relatively inexpensively. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.