Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My caique parrot has been unusually docile weeks, right

Customer Question

My caique parrot has been unusually docile for two weeks, right after I clipped his nails and beak. He was even a bit docile a day or two before. He still eats and has intervals of more normal behavior, but is fluffy his feathers in a normal temperature room, and snuggling with either his furry bed, or climbs up to snuggle with me. I put a heating pad under a small pet carrier and put him in there for a while, but he is back snuggling with me when I am home.
His eyes are clear and he has no rhinorrhea.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You can call me at(###) ###-#### ***** can text or send a picture to you as well.
Your Username is:***@******.***
Your OrderID: 16175766-903
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Lisa, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It's important to note that once a parrot acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Baby's symptoms of lethargy and fluffing are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Baby's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.Until Baby can be attended to, please continue heating up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Baby's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: or here: should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He rarely gets seeds. He has a scrambled egg, fresh berries and fresh or defrosted veggies as his routine with whatever other safe things are in the house. Fresh apples, oranges bananas and some cooked meat
I will call the only vet near me tomorrow he is semi retired and not an official avian vet, but has tons of experience. Thank you. I have some vits for his water here
We can rule out a dietary problem. He eats better than I do. I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.