Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a pigeon nest on my balcony, and I have been

Customer Question

I have a pigeon nest on my balcony, and I have been observing an egg and its mother for a few weeks, today was pretty windy and rainy, and when I looked out of my balcony after work I noticed the egg had been blown out of the nest to beside the nest and that there was a small crack and a bit of white fluid escaping. I patched the hole with an chicken egg and clear nail polish and have it under a lamp on low heat. What are the chances of this egg hatching? Is the embryo still alive?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Your actions to this point greatly show how compassionate and caring you are for all creatures great and small! I would be very worried that the viability of the embryo has been compromised. After it fell out, the temperature wasn't maintained and it may have gone through enough time of not being at the ideal temperature and this made the embryo not viable. The fact that there was compromise to the shell and some material leaking out most likely means that the chance of bacterial contamination inside of the egg has happened and this could compromise the egg too. But in lieu of this you could definitely continue to try and hatch it out. Here is some things to follow there. The egg should be turned during the incubation as mom / dad would do this. Optimal incubation temperature for pigeon eggs is 37.8 C.
Here is a good link on taking care of an egg and also a hatchling.
Hi Thea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?