Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cheek conure has a band around s leg and has since we got

Customer Question

My green cheek conure has a band around his leg and has since we got him which was 9 years ago it recently has started bleeding like the band is rubbing on his leg.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

As our pet birds grow and their body shape changes, these bands can begin to constrict, lacerate, and even shut down the blood supply to the leg distal to the band. The band must be removed but unless you're experienced in doing so, it's best to let a breeder of these birds or avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) do this for you. There's a special type of tool and the proper size of that tool that's used to snip the bands. Great care needs to be taken to avoid lacerating the leg. Once the band is removed, the leg usually heals uneventfully. Cleansing the wound with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens) a couple of times daily until it heals over is reasonable.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Squirt. How is everything going?