Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Lyn. I have inherrited some laying chickens, had them a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, Lyn. I have inherrited some laying chickens, had them a couple of years, nd one has started to sit down in the last few days. I was watching her eat breakfast this morning and she kept losing her balance, Her comb in a great colour, but I think its floppier than usual. She seemed really thirsty (extemely hot summer) but i just dont know enough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. How old is Pearl, Lyn?
Customer: She is about 3, maybe 3 1/2 now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pearl, Lyn?
Customer: She is interacting like usual, but we have had some rain and the dumb girls love to sit out in it, so I was worried about a flu. My vet had no idea what to do with a chicken
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has clear eyes, nothing running, and does not feel any hotter or colder than her pen-mates. She is happy to eat and drink, though I did seperate her to make sure she was consuming. I thought she was just clucky the last few days, but she could have been like this. No obvious scale or mites on her legs, was wormed about 2 months ago, have added a protein powder to their mixed course grain almost a week ago, no obvious loss of feathers, have had some serious rainfall this week so unsure about stool quality as such
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Do the girls have any access to heavy metals, chemicals, or bird unfriendly plants?

Any chance of head trauma?

Is she able to use her legs normally?

Does she have a head tilt or try to circle in a particular direction when she walks?

Any discharge or odor from her ears?

Any coughing or sneezing?