Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have a Rhode Island Red hen 2 years old. Today when I was

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** have a Rhode Island Red hen 2 years old. Today when I was chasing the hens water (daily) I noticed her back end was full of pooh. I put her in a warm bath and now she's drying in front of a heater in a dark bathroom. Her vent is a bit swollen but her stomach seems very swollen. She hasn't laid eggs in a few days. Thank you!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you clarify for me what "back end was full of poo" implies? Was her vent impacted with droppings or were the dropping plastered all over her vent area? Now that she's inside, when she has a movement is she diarrheic or are the droppings normal? I'm particularly concerned about a stomach which seems very swollen. She may be egg bound which is a relatively common cause of changes in droppings as the eggs obstruct the passage of feces through the distal colon. I understand your not wanting to do much lest you stress her, but egg bound birds usually require the services of an avian vet (please see here: Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?