Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My female cockatiel is about 20 years old. She has had the

Customer Question

My female cockatiel is about 20 years old. She has had the tail bobbing associated with hard breathing for a year or two, but this summer her poops became much more watery, and she was wheezing and breathing harder. She has had two weeks of doxicillin which dried up the droppings, but only for only a week or so. But I do believe the wheezing is gone and her breathing is better. She is eating pretty well -- a fortified seed diet and millet sprays. She has never liked any vegetables or eggs or other soft food. I had a bronchitis or whooping cough last fall which lasted four MONTHS and which finally really got better with a gram-negative antibiotic. We first tried amoxacillin which produced little to no results. Are my little Pooh-Pie-Baby's symptoms just due to her advanced age, or mmight a vet visit make a difference? .Might she have caught my illness? Is there something that can still be done to give her a significantly longer life? I see her once a week when I am allowed to take care of her at the place she stays since I lost my home. I can afford a reasonably priced vet visit if this stands a decent chance of making her better.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would recommend that you take your Baby to an avian vet.....not a regular vet. But do be aware that cockatiel's only live 15-20 years in captivity unfortunately. Having said that there may be something an avian vet can do to give her another year of good life. Mind you a visit to a vet that does not have avian experience will not help you so make sure to find an exotic vet that works with birds. If you need help locating someone I can help with that if you let me know the town you live in or near. A larger city would be helpful since many exotic vets are in urban areas. If you would like my assistance with that simply leave your info here and I will get back to you. I check my computer every night and will get back to you tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Oh, and no I don't think your bird picked this up from you......although birds can carry psittacosis which humans can get. Let me know if I can help you further. DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if I can be of additional help to you. feel free to leave any questions you may have here or of you would like here of if you would like me to help you locate a proper vet. Sincerely, DRB