Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My Quaker parrot is healthy and he eats well and acting

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My Quaker parrot is healthy and he eats well and acting normal but when I was listening to his heart beats he was breathing a bit heavy is that normal ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?
Customer: I was listening to his hearts beats but he's breathing a little bit heavy is that normal ?
JA: Where does the bird seem to hurt?
Customer: He's not hurt I was listening to his heart beats but he's breathing a bit heavy is that normal I'm sorry but I'm not going to repeat the question again
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: He's 7 years old
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Why do u need it sorry
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: No that's all
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. "Breathing a bit heavy" is necessarily a subjective assessment but if you believe that his breathing is more difficult (dyspnea) and/or his respiratory rate has elevated and/or you're seeing his tail moving up and down with each breath - an indication of dyspnea - he might be suffering from a respiratory infection or a systemic disorder which is affecting his respiration. An avian vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) your bird's heart and lungs and perhaps perform cultures of his choana - the slit between his oral and nasal cavities - and his cloaca (vent) as well as perform blood work in an attempt to clarify if your bird is truly ill.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.