Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My canary tore one of s nails overnight, found m sitting on

Customer Question

My canary tore one of his nails overnight, found him sitting on the bottom of his cage, the bleeding has stopped, however, he's breathing heavily, can you please help me with this?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Titi is quite stressed and even shocky at this time. You must avoid handling him and simply heat his environment to 85F with a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and place his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. The peroxide was appropriate but now it's the time to NOT do. We can't stress him if he's hypovolemic (loss of fluid volume due to excessive bleeding).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.