Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an African Grey parrot ,he is about 10 years old and

Customer Question

Hi ,i have an African Grey parrot ,he is about 10 years old and he suddenly has started struggling to breath , i have had him to the vet and they have given him antibiotics but still when evening comes he seems to struggle more with the breathing , i have steamed the bathroom and sat with him in there and that seems to help , the vet here in South Africa does not seem to know what it is ,please could you maybe shed some light on the problem
Thanking you
Lee
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Lee, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you clarify what "struggling to breath" implies, please? An increased respiratory rate, he sounds congested, nasal discharge? Is the vet an avian specialist? Which antibiotic are you giving and how are you administering it? Has any testing been performed such as blood tests and cultures of Vincent's choana (the slit between his oral and nasal cavities) and cloaca (vent)? Have X-rays been performed?

Hi Lee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Vincent. How is everything going?