Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 week old lovebird that was pulled from the nest 5

Customer Question

I have a 3 week old lovebird that was pulled from the nest 5 days ago. Since introducing her to Higgins formula, she has always had a slow empting crop. It takes a good 12 hrs for her crop to empty completely, feeding her 10% of her body weight. She also seems to have developed a mass in her crop that is about the size of a pencil eraser. It is semi hard, semi mushy.
Any advice on what I can do to help resolve the issue?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
formula used is harrisons, crop emptying takes about 6-7 hours, using diluted formula.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You appear to be describing crop stasis - a lack of motility either due to a crop disorder itself or a systemic disorder that is affecting her crop and likely the rest of he GI tract as well. Because she's being fed with formula, however, a crop infection should be suspected and the mass you're feeling would represent an impaction either by congealing of ingesta or foreign material.

Please see here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/crop-infections-in-birds/862

Ideally, an avian vet should perform the testing discussed in that link and then treat predicated upon the results of that testing. If an avian vet can't attend to this lovebird, half-filling her crop with water in an attempt to hydrate the impaction and then after a half an hour upturning her and expressing the crop contents manually through her mouth followed by tubing and half-filling her crop with 2% chlorhexidine gluconate solution diluted one ounce to a gallon of water might well suffice. If you're not experienced doing this, it's best that an avian vet attend to her.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?