Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a hen and her comb use to stand up all the time and

Customer Question

I have a hen and her comb use to stand up all the time and was bright red now its a dull red and layed over on her head and the tips are a kinda light purple color and ever since she has been this way she cant fly up on the roost like the other chickens do she was staying to here self for a couple off day. Now she is following the flock around the yard again but still cant get up on the roost but tries every night they go in. She eats and drinks every day.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Glenn. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You're quite observant. Those findings indicate a dehydrated, anemic, and cyanotic (hypoxic/lack of oxygen to her tissues) hen. These are obviously important symptoms suggestive of both respiratory and cardiovascular compromise but in chickens most any serious systemic illness can cause those changes.

Are you seeing any other worrisome symptoms - an increased respiratory rate, regurgitation/vomiting, diarrhea, straining as if to lay, a change in posture, a change in the appearance of her eyes, lameness, limb paresis (weakness) or paralysis?