Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have a 6 lb standard Cochin that has been pooping a month

Customer Question

I have a 6 lb standard Cochin that has been pooping green for almost a month now. At first they were watery poops with green. I treated her for coccidiosis. I have also wormed her with Safeguard at .5 ml per 2.2 pounds of bird. Her poops have firmed up somewhat but are still green. It doesn't matter what I feed her. They're green.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Her name is Bluebell. She hatched on May 5, 2015. I am going to call the vet in the morning. Obviously her liver is on overdrive producing bile. I need to get her healthy and back with the flock. She has been in the house with me.
JA: How old is The?
Customer: She will be one year old on May 5.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about The?
Customer: It's a long story. Learned my lesson the hard way of bringing new birds into the flock too soon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What is she being fed? Does she graze in the garden?

What color is her oral lining? Pink, pale/white, or yellow tinted?

Does her belly look distended to feel fluidy when palpated?

Have you done any testing thus far?

How is she otherwise?