Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian.
71397578

Every so often we find small worms in or around our birds

Customer Question

Every so often we find small white worms in or around our birds cage which turn into small grey moths. what is causing this and how can we stop it? Mike from N.J.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will try and help you as best as I can.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Moths can be a big problem with many types of bird foods. Typically we are talking about seed diets when we see this. Pelleted diets typically do not come with this problem. The problem is that many of these diets can be contaminated with pantry moths or indian meal moths. The eggs are small and in the seed, these then hatch into larvae (worms) then turn into a pupa. The pupa then turns into the bothersome moth.

The big thing here is prevention. Freeze the seed for 4 days before feeding it to birdie to allow any eggs to be destroyed. You should keep the seed in a large sealed tupperware like container as well. Don't buy bulk quantities of seed, try to buy small batches. Another option is to just switch to a pelleted complete diet to try to avoid this altogether as it is highly unlikely you will have issues with that type of diet. Harrison bird diet and Mazuri and Zupreem diets are great.

These insects are not harmful, but they are a pest. Hopefully you will be able to get them under complete control in the future. Please let me know if I can help you any further.

I wish you and Birdie the best!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time.

I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Birdie. How is everything going?
Dr. G.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!