Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

Have (had) a dozen chickens six six (breed unknown - given

Customer Question

have (had) a dozen chickens six white six brown (breed unknown - given to me) - layers just coming up on a year old - one brown died today from what looks like a vent prolapse (quoting the wife - she exploded) :-( no signs of pecking or cannibalism on her. all the brown chickens have signs of slight prolapse.
what could this be? is it something we need to be concerned about with the others?
one thing to note, while we never gave them artificial light, they never slowed down in their laying this winter
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your hens. Cloacal prolapses may result when hens start laying too young, become overweight, or produce over-sized eggs. Do you think any of these might be the cause of the prolapses?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they started laying around 18 weeks, the eggs are not overly large, we're checking on the weight issue - the browns are at the top of the pecking order due to their size
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Okay, thank you. Are the affected brown hens showing exposed cloacal tissue now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they were earlier today, one is more pronounced than the others, the chickens appear a little chubby - how would we treat them / minimize this in the future?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been offline while at supper. When hens seem to blow out their insides, usually they've been showing some prolapsed tissue and another bird or birds peck at the red exposed "target". It's important to get the tissue back inside. You can help them recover by coating the exposed tissue with hemorrhoid ointment (Preparation H) daily for several days. This should shrink the tissue and cause it to retract. If you haven't wormed and treated for coccidian in the past several months, that would be a good idea. Your local farm or feed supply store should be able to offer worming and anti-coccidial products effective for those parasites common to your area. if your birds are getting fat, you can cut back on feed and offer more lower calorie foods like veggies. Hopefully, you're through the worst, and things will get back to normal soon, but if you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you. Kind regards, *****