Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lovebird is having some red lump like thing at her

Customer Question

My lovebird is having some red lump like thing at her discharge hole after she laid soft and weak eggs. She had some bleeding also
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I believe that you're describing cloacal prolapse which you can read about here: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm You mustn't pull this out; instead, the tissue needs to put back in. A lack of calcium in Pai's diet is a common cause of both her prolapse and soft-shelled eggs. If you can't replace her cloaca or it prolapses once again in spite of your replacing it, an avian vet will be needed. I understand that you might not have such a vet where you live, however.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Pai'sdiet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I replace cloacal back in? Is it safe to do so at home? As you rightly said, we do not have such vet here in Kuwait
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Awaiting your response

You would need to carefully restrain Pai on her back, lubricate the cloaca with a water soluble lubricant such as KY Jelly, and then with a cotton tip applicator (Q-tip) gently push the cloaca back in place. A calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet should be placed in her drinking water and her diet is likely to need to be improved as mentioned above in order to prevent this from occurring again. If you have a problem doing this perhaps a local vet with some experience with birds can help you.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.