Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Salkin, I just wanted to give you an update on Phantom, my

Customer Question

HI Dr. Salkin,
I just wanted to give you an update on Phantom, my rooster that was the only survivor of a dog attack in November.
He came back a little and was half walking, half using his wing as a crutch. We put him outside a couple of times to see if that would perk him up. However, one of the times, the dog came back! He bit him again, but again his injuries were unknown. He spent 2 weeks, just looking like death's door! It was miserable.
Then all of a sudden, he started to move again. I had to give him weekly baths because of the poop build up, from not walking and laying on his side.
We would let him lay on a towel in the living room and he would stand, but would stand on his own foot. And most of the time he would hold his right leg behind him and not swing it forward. We found this crazy injury a few weeks after the second attack, He has a hole that goes down alongside his right leg. It goes deep inside and looked like a lot of dead skin. We sprayed Vetericyn in there and just waited to see what would happen.
However! Around Christmas, we rebuilt our coop and started getting some pullets. Phantom at this point could somewhat walk around, but mostly stood. We would take him outside with us while we were building and he would mosey his way back to the house and wait at the door; he was still living inside in our brooder.
But when we got the chickens, he started walking more, making noises and we even found him up in the coop! He had put himself up there one evening before we had gotten home to bring him in.
So ever since, he is a new rooster! No crowing, but I'm totally OK with that! He tries to have his fun with the ladies, but he can't yet swing that leg all the way. He still steps on his own foot, but he can swing his leg forward now and seems to be happy!
Thank you for your encouragement when he had his first dog attack! Now he has survived 2. He still has that weird cavernous hole up his leg, but it looks like dead skin and not a wound and doesn't seem to be bothering him. He's a miracle! Because of him, it would take a lot for me to give up on an injured chicken!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Oh my goodness. Thank you for the good update. Phantom is the rooster who couldn't die. He's going to outlive me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now I have two conversations going with you! Phantom is my one rooster with my sneezing chickens. If whatever they have kills him, I'm going to lose it! He has survived so much

Ah! I didn't recognize your user name. Mea culpa. If two dog attacks didn't do him in, what's a little respiratory infection going to do? Maybe he's bionic. Terrific pics! Everybody's in my customer photo folder now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't even know that I have a username last time! I was so desperate! This time I'm just feeling impatient and wanting answers so I made an official membership

I understand that you're antsy. We don't many avian vets on this site so if you want to reach me directly it's best to type "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" as your first few words of a new request. I'm usually chained to my computer by evil gnomes. If you have an emergency, typing those words wouldn't be appropriate, however.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it! You have no idea how happy I am that I get answers so quickly! I have a million more questions that we will get to but this is better than waiting two days for a phone call back

It's my pleasure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He crowed this morning! It won't let me upload my video, but it was really cute! He sounded like he is just recovered from losing his voice and was unsure what to do! So now he is pretty much fully rooster! If only he can swing his leg over his ladies :-)

Oh geez...a frustrated rooster...oh well, crowing is a start!