Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lineolated parakeet was without water lteast 24 hours. he

Customer Question

Customer: my lineolated parakeet was without water for at lteast 24 hours. he is weak what can i dofor him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was at college and my sisyer was supposed to care for him. I just came home to find his water bowl dry. he is weak and can not fly. he wil make small chirp sounds. I offered him water and he drank a little. he made to 2 small poops
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes please
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm terribly sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We have very few avian vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. In general, such a debilitated bird needs the attention of an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who would administer subcutaneous fluids/electrolytes by needle and force-feed with a feeding tube until your parakeet stabilized. You're necessarily constrained at home to heat up his environment to 85F by shining a 100W bulb into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to sleep) or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting around the sides of his cage in order to reduce the energy he needs to expend to maintain his body heat, remove his perches and place his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?