Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My keet Pete,has some crusty spots on s forehead he is 5

Customer Question

Customer: my keet Pete,has some brown crusty spots on his forehead he is 5 months old. he is losing feathers like crazy and has lost his nice long tale fether. should i be concern,ed and if so what can i do . my name is ginger.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he still is very active, i just dont know what it is.when i tosh the feathers there they feel hard. and he does sleep a little more then he did say maybe 2 weeks ago.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i am going to go ahead and do some more reading on my own if i dont find any answers i will get back to you. thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Ginger, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of Pete's head to our conversation? A macro lens is best for a close-up pic. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I'm concerned that the "brown crusty spots" indicate the scaly leg and face mite. "Hard feeling feathers" suggest new pin feathers and "his losing feathers like crazy" suggests that he's molting.