Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Can a female cockatiel lay a egg without a male?

Customer Question

can a female cockatiel lay a egg without a male?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, they absolutely can lay unfertilized eggs without a male. This can even be stimulated if a bird is overly attached to an owner (perceiving them as a mate) and/or the owner is stimulating lay by excessively handling. So, it is quite possible.

Now since your question doesn't discuss a specific bird, if you have a lass laying then please let me know and we can discuss steps to discourage this (since its waste of he body's resources and can lead to complications best avoided). Or if this was just hypothetical, then hopefully the above answers that for you.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.