Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****.. I'm in CT. We purchased 13 day old

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****.. I'm in CT. We purchased 13 day old chicks 9 weeks ago. The freebee chick turned out to be (what I believe) a Freedom Ranger Roo. He seemed perfectly fine until about 3-4 days; when I noticed him laying down a lot, and then within a 10 hour period he seemed to be laying in the same spot. His legs are under him body and they seem almost frozen or paralyzed.. one foot/toes are sort of curled and limp, the other toes are more extended and stiff.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's inside in a crate with water and food set out right in front of him. He is not really eating, however, yesterday I gave him 10-15 drops of herbal st johns wart and distilled water mixture...an hour later he chowed down like there was no tomorrow...this morning he is not eating again. Water: he is drinking...h2o with vit/electrolite mixture
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: of course
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please call me on my cell(###) ###-####as I may not have access to a computer..thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site and many of us aren't allowed by our veterinary associations to speak with customers by phone in this venue. I hope you can see my response.

I'm concerned that you've described a young bird suffering from Marek's disease. Please take a look at this site and let me know if the mentioned symptoms are what you're seeing in your Roo: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/#!mareks-disease/c1qzk

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Doc, Yes, Peanut appears to have the one symptom of leg paralysis: both legs are under his body, one foot is somewhat curled and limp, the other is a bit stiff and toes straighter but leg tucked under body maybe slighty off to the side (but visually both legs are feet are mainly under his main body. I have done a lot of reading about Marek's the couple of days, and most sights do say there is no cure, no hope...except for one sight I found on this site --http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort
I picked up the herbal (not homeopathic) supplement, St John Wort, and did feed it to him (as described is the article) once yesterday and then again this morning. Before I fed it to him, he was not really eating, then an hour after the supplement he went to town on his food (maybe just a coincedence). Thoughts?

Thank you for the additional information. I never argue with success but the likelihood of that supplement successfully addressing such a serious and tumor-producing infection as Marek's is near nil. Do you know if these chicks were vaccinated against Marek's at 1 day of age?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?