Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a sick chicken, about 4 yrs old a plymouth rock

Customer Question

Hello ,
I have a sick chicken, about 4 yrs old a plymouth rock chicken...I thought maybe it was an egg that was stuck, but it doesn't seem to be. She is walking like a penguin and very full below her vent. If I place a finger straight in I don't feel an egg, if I point down, it feels hot and with fluid and perhaps a bit grainy, Like ?broken shell? She did eat last night and we have soaked her twice. She is separated from her coop mate, who seems fine. Her breathing is fine... Clearly I'm not a farmer...it has been a few days since she laid any eggs,
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I'm still concerned that Henny Penny is egg bound and the egg is high up in the oviduct where you can't feel it through her vent (contrary to what you'll read in the link I provided below). Unfortunately, there's little that the owner can do for these birds who often need the assistance of an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) and this may not be financially practical when caring for a large flock. Here's a good review of egg binding for you: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention which includes remedies that might be of value and preclude needing a vet's attention.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.