Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a chicken with the right side of her face swollen and

Customer Question

I have a chicken with the right side of her face swollen and eye shut and sounds very congested
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that in any case of respiratory illness, it's important to know if you're dealing with a viral, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic disease. The treatment for one disease may be ineffective or even harmful for others. To make a diagnosis, an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies of dead birds if they're available. Dead birds should be refrigerated - not frozen – until they can be necropsied. Microscopic evaluation of affected tissues is helpful and can be performed at a diagnostic laboratory such as a county animal disease diagnostic laboratory. A fecal test for parasites also should be done. Attempts to isolate virus may be required. Respiratory infections in poultry have several causes but outward signs may appear similar to the flock owner. Considerations in Baby include the bacterial infections fowl cholera (Pasteurella multocida), chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum), and avian mycoplasmosis.

I'm not familiar with vertex drops. Please clarify. If you can't have an avian vet to attend to Baby, presumptive therapy with tylosin (injectable Tylan-50, e.g., which can also be given orally) available in your local feed store can be initiated at a dose of 10-15 mg/lb daily intramuscularly or orally for 3 days or 2.5 grams of tylosin powder per 5 liters of water for 3 days.