Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My name is ***** ***** and I have a older parakeet and s

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a older parakeet and his beak grows very fast. Usually I have it trimmed by the vet but since he is about 60 miles away the Vet said I could trim is down a little using nail clippers. Would that be corrct?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is about 5 years old and his beak has started growing really fast and needs attention every 3 months at the longest time. I take him to a vet that treats parakeets but is a long drive and hard to get time off from work. The vet told my husband he could trim it with nail clipper but only a little. Right now his beak is growing in a curve toward his chest and needs attention.\
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Yes it is true that if you are carefully you can trim the beak with a nail clippers. You should use a sharp clippers and change it often (or sharpen it often) so it cuts and doesn't pinch/smash the beak which can lead to splitting. Take little snips from the tip up until the beak starts to widen near when the upper and lower beak come together. At the end you can take a nail file and round over the edge to clean up any edges. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan