Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Our 9 mon. old female Peking has developed what I think in

Customer Question

Customer: Our 9 mon. old female Peking has developed what I think in Bumblefoot. I was reading causes could be from jumping from too high places. Our ducks were attacked by something one night in Nov. and she escaped and was gone for a day. She came back with feathers missing and in shock with no apparent wounds, though. This may be the event, as we have no high places. It looks like a black mold spot, raised and very hard. Much more protruding on one foot than the other.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are trying short soaks in hydrogen peroxide and now epson salts. We also have an anti-bicrobial and regular antibacterial that we put on. On the worst foot, we have devised a pad and a little foam bootie to ease pressure on foot. We noticed the limp 3 days ago, one leg more swollen yesterday when we began or routine. I have been looking on line for meds, etc. but them don't seem to be available locally. such as Veterivyn. The y are large hard bumbles on hte 'sole' of each foot. The top is black and sort of knobby. She does not want to walk, and the other foot is developing a smaller version of the bump. She drinks water but won't go in the pool with the footie on. She played in the bathtub water when we took it off. I cannot tell if she is eating less as of yet. But reading about Bumble foot is confusing. One owner says it is common, with rest, etc. and it will heal, other sayhard to heal and could be fatal. Any suggestions would be helpful.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.

I'm sorry to read of your Peking's foot condition. Judging from your description, bumblefoot does seem to fit as a diagnosis. Ducks and other waterfowl have feet better designed for swimming than for walking, particularly on hard, rough dry surfaces. Can you restrict her in a smaller area with a soft litter floor, like a pen or small room while you treat her feet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Treatment for her foot was I needed more than confirmation, Logging into your site messed up myn credit card and this is very much a non-answer so not worth the money, time or trouble it caused.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

I'm see that you are disappointed, but I simply asked a question to try to determine the best course of action. I had not yet offered a definitive answer.

Your credit card will be credited for the amount taken in deposit as long as you don't rate my answer.

I'm sorry I wasn't of more help to you.

Best regards, *****