Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

We have been told that Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, and

Customer Question

We have been told that Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B are necessary for bird health.
We have a flock of English budgerigars who suffer from lack of energy, poor breeding and fertility and general listlessness.
Can these vitamins help If so, where can we get them and what would be the dosage for these smaller birds?
Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas.
Linda Denny
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now all the signs you have described do fit with these specific vitamin deficiencies (in regards ***** ***** B vitamins, B1 + B6 are the main ones). Therefore, it would be prudent to review the flock's diet, make sure the food isn't old or sitting open (as Vitamin E can break down over time and when exposed to air), and consider supplementation. In regards ***** ***** so, its usually most practical to supplement the diet using a powdered vitamin mix like Avimix, Prime, or Nekton. These are OTC via most vets, can be ordered online or through some farm supply shops. This is best since it would not be practical to hand medicate a flock of birds nor would we really want to supplement the water (in case the flavor were to deter any birds form drinking).

Now those pre-prepared mixes will make life easy for you, as you will just add to the food per the instructions. That said, just for your interest, the doses we'd use of each are as follows: Vitamin A - 300 IU/100g of bird weight; Vitamin E- 3mg/ 100g of bird; Vitamin D3 - 20IU/100g of bird weight; Thiamine (b1) - 0.3mg/100g of bird, and pyridoxine (b6)- 0.3mg/100g of bird.

Finally, just since you have a flock-wide issue, I would also note that you will want to review the aviary's temperature, light/day length and humidity. If these are not at optimum for this flock, we may need to employ light timers, humidifiers and portable room heaters to restore optimum environmental conditions here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.