Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Rosie last 2 days seem to be cough or sneezing 1st time ever

Customer Question

Rosie last 2 days seem to be cough or sneezing
1st time ever came off cage come in room to me
way to calm an i noticed has discharge from nose as if it snot
usually she laugh call me in morning or fret a little when give bath or pick her up
none this is occuring an she even lt me put towel on her whiich she has never tolerated
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on Rosie's signs, we do need to tread with care. This is because all her clinical signs are suggestive of a brewing upper airway infection. This can be related to bacteria, viruses, and fungi; though we can sometimes see nutritional issues (ie Vitamin A deficiency) playing a role.

Now the reason why we need to be proactive is because birds are a prey species. This means they instinctually hide that they are unwell. This is because attention to illness will make you a target for predation. So, if we are even seeing her like this (and she sounds down in her behavior/mentation too) then we need to pay attention and address this aggressively before it can become an even more serious issue or that breathing worsens. Too often we are the last to know when our birds are sick. And too often we only see signs of struggling when their condition is just too advanced for them to hide any longer. Therefore, bird instinct puts us human owners at a disadvantage for catching things early, and makes addressing the signs we are seeing now even more important.
With all this in mind, it would be ideal to get her to your local avian vet. They can perform a a thorough physical examination, listen to her lungs/heart +/- fecal or blood testing. Once they pinpoint which issue is present, they can start her on treatment to clear this before it can cause any compromise.

Overall, Rosie is telling us that she feels unwell with these signs of an upper airway infection. Therefore, we need to be proactive and nip this in the bud for her. If we can do so now, we can avoid any progression of the condition and any risk of respiratory distress for her.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at:

AAV(http://www.aav.org/search/), Avianweb (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm), Lafeber database(http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bird passed stop further notice calls chats membership