Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 20 year old male cockatiel. recently he has had

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old male cockatiel. recently he has had some tufts of down coming out from the side of his neck, and now there are red splotches coming up from where the down was. I am in assisted living and unable to take him to a vet. In the past, I've had mobile vets who came here. Should I try a bit of neosporin on the spots? He doesn't like to be handled but puts up with Any suggestions? Thanks - KaY Packard, Atlanta
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Kay. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you upload a close-up photo of these "red splotches" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I'm not comfortable having you apply Neosporin which invariably gets ingested by pet birds. Chlorhexidine is a safe antimicrobial that you can find over the counter in your local pharmacy under the name of Hebiclens. It's unclear to me if the red splotches represent an infectious folliculitis or even skin cancer in a 20 year old cockatiel.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sidney. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far I haven’t gotten a picture of him. It actually seems better – there are aa few new tufts of feathers coming in. However, he isn’t eating much – something that occasionally happens. I hope he will continue to grow some feathers. I will get some of the cream you suggested when I get someone to take me to the pharmacy. I will keep you posted, and thank you for your concern, Kay

I understand, Kay. The Hebiclens is actually an antimicrobial cleanser rather than a cream. I'm not going to argue with success if he's regrowing those feathers. Make sure his diet is well-balanced. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.