Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Is there anything I can do to help my daughter's parakeet

Customer Question

Is there anything I can do to help my daughter's parakeet who is lying still on the bottom of the cage, only opening and closing his eyes? He has been stressed by not enough food (pecking through wired cage bottom for food) and change of food.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 12 months ago.

​Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds exclusively for many years.​

He needs to see an avian-experienced vet immediately. Recovering from starvation is a serious, life-threatening emergency and needs to be managed appropriately.

DO NOT USE DRYER LINT> He can inhale the dust and develop severe pneumonia.

Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.

Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose.
The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean.

Here are some helpful links:

https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/

Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.

Pet/feed store medications and home remedies are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them. Homeopathy and natureopathic techniques do not work in avians and can actually be very dangerous.

I know it is expensive, but you may not have many home options, because the first thing you need a vet for is to find out what is going on. Treatment is only as good as the diagnosis. If you call around, you may find a vet to work within your means.

I really must stress that you need a bird-experienced person, and not just a vet who advertises that they care for birds.

You need to take your bird to see an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check
https://aav.site-ym.com/?page=basiccare click on "find a vet"

http://aav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=1803

How old is your daughter? If a child, the welfare of a pet should not be up to them. Now you need to step up and do the right thing to save this little bird's life. If she ius an adult, she needs to relinquish the bird to a proper care-giver.

If money is an issue, contact your local parrot rescue, animal shelter or humane society to take him. If you need help locating these services, Let me know your geographic area and I can help you find someone.