Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds exclusively for many years.
How long ago did this happen?
Did he just tear it up or actually eat it?
If he is like my parrotlet, he probably shredded it, and did not consume any plant material.
Luckily there is variability in the toxicity of philodendrons. If he actually ate some, ingested the leaf, oxalate poisoning is the main concern--that primarily affects the kidneys. It takes some time but what you need to watch for is change in the droppings, specifically the liquid part and the white material. Watch for vomiting and diarrhea. It may be difficult to check his mouth. Putting white paper towels down to check poops and for vomit will help. You can upload any photos if you have questions.
Have you done anything to treat?
Milk does not really help much. Normal water and food may help push through any plant material.
He probably will be ok, but I recommend that you contact his vet, just in case. And monitor the droppings carefully. You can save the paper towels in a baggie, your vet may want to take a look at them.
Digestion rates are typically about 15 minutes transit time, so most of the material should have passed. However, renal damage can take more than 24 hr to show.
Let me know if you need a link for avian-experienced vets, and you can leave this question open for now.
Keep me up to date.