Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Our African is making a sound like snoring. I did a

Customer Question

Our African gray is making a sound like snoring. I did a recording this morning. This has been going on for 3 days.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

​Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds exclusively for many years.​ I have a couple of grays myself and have had many African Gray patients.

Please upload the recording.

Did the snoring begin after the humidifier?

Does it sound like it is in the nostrils or mouth? Does it happen on each breath; can you tell if it is inhale or exhale or both?

This time of year, many people cook and use unsual pots and pans. There is always the risk of non-stick coating toxicity, cooking fumes, oven fumes, etc. and candles/scent/etc. Anything like that going on?

Humidifiers can be a reservoir of germs. They have to be emptied, scrubbed with dish detergent, rinsed and dried EVERYDAY and often are more problem than fixer. If it hasn't be used in a while, break it doewn ND THOROGHLY CLEAN IT--AND DON'T FORGET THE NOZZEL AND ANY TUBING.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to upload an audio file.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I'm not in a good phone area, so we are stuck with internet.

You can upload the recording using the paper clip icon in the tool bar. Or use dropbox, youtube or other online services and send me a link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Utube link is in JPEG file attached hope this works. She sounded like this before humidifier. We stay her with a product called Rain tropical spray.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I can't get it to work. Can you copy and paste the link here instead of jpeg?

Do you have an avian vet? I would recommend making contact today because of the long holiday weekend. Radiographs and blood work, choana and nasal swabs may be in order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will call our avian vet. Thanks. That is what I was thinking all along.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

I would be worried about seasonal "allergy-type" issues, fumes, upper respiratory infection, sinusitis, foreign material in the choana (I have found all kinds of things in there, from broccoli to sticks), even fungal infections.

Have you recently started a heater/furnace, brought in holiday decorations, cleaned carpet/stove, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The utube link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPipJESLc0I have made an appointment for 2 pm on Friday at For the Birds in Cuptertlno CA. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know how the appointment went.