Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think my chicken has a broken leg. Last night she jumped

Customer Question

I think my chicken has a broken leg. Last night she jumped out of my arms, flew into the coop door and fell to the ground. She is favoring the leg and only applies pressure when absolutely necessary. There is no open wound or obvious external sign of where the injury is on the leg. Not sure what to do. I isolated her as soon as it happened in a small dog crate.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vet on this site. Injuries are the most difficult conditions for an online vet to assess. An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) would need to carefully palpate Iris's leg and hip for instability and then X-ray the unstable area to better understand how she might be helped. We do splint and pin a chicken's leg but not until we know the extent of the injury. For now, you can add 325 mg (5 grains) of aspirin to 1 pint of water and restrict Iris to that drinking water. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.