Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Amazon bit my timneh in the neck. He has a small bruise

Customer Question

My Amazon bit my timneh in the neck. He has a small bruise and a tiny cut. His voice is weird. What could cause his voice to be off?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did eat a pistachio and was trying to shred the paper in his cage.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Ouch! Crushing injury may not be fully apparent by direct visualization. I suspect swelling has involved your Amazon's larynx if a change in voice is noted. You can mix a 325 mg aspirin in one pint of water and restrict him to that drinking water for a few days. Alternatively, an avian vet can prescribe a more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam with which you would dose directly into his beak. His post-trauma behavior indicates that he has a good prognosis for a full recovery.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought birds didn't have a larynx and that is why I was so concerned.Is there anything I should be concerned about with the small wound? It bled a very minimal amount and I didn't have to do anything to stop the bleeding. It stopped on its own.

The small wound can be cleansed with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens). Skin infection from a bird bite is quite uncommon, however. As you noticed, the skin isn't very vascular and so bleeding is expected to be minimal. If underlying muscle were lacerated instead, bleeding would have been more significant. Please see here for the upper respiratory anatomy of birds: https://www.google.com/search?q=upper+respiratory+anatomy+in+birds&tbm=isch&imgil=k7igtTouveG1wM%253A%253BPcBXvX7bpfCwVM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fpeople.eku.edu%25252Fritchisong%25252Fbirdrespiration.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=k7igtTouveG1wM%253A%252CPcBXvX7bpfCwVM%252C_&biw=1920&bih=955&usg=__-Wv9EnJYPDi3FDO5bUcqCICBkRs%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjqlr6v36fJAhWJOYgKHTeICWYQyjcIKA&ei=dKdTVuqMN4nzoAS3kKawBg#imgrc=p5CGOjAPThResM%3A&usg=__-Wv9EnJYPDi3FDO5bUcqCICBkRs%3D

A chicken is shown but your Grey is built the same. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could she have injured an air sac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having a hard time getting a good pic

If so, I wouldn't be able to identify the sac in such a wound. This doesn't look like a tiny cut to me and so having it sutured should be considered. You'll need an avian vet. Please see here: www.aav.org

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no open area. There is nothing to suture. It looks more like a bubble.

Er...there's quite a laceration with the underlying musculature showing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought a laceration was a cut. There is no cut in his skin. The skin is swollen and seems to have a bubbly effect to....as if there is air in it. The small bite from yesterday is above where this bubble is & can't even be seen today. This is located at the bottom of the neck area...I put yellow in the area on the picture.

You appear to spreading apart a full thickness tear in his skin. What else could be pink/white with vasculature evident? Please clarify what's between your two fingers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying she tore the muscle under the skin without damaging the skin?

You appear to be parting the skin and you can see the musculature where it isn't covered any longer by skin. The musculature is intact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what you are saying.The skin is intact and there is no damage to the skin. The only thing I parted was his feathers which are a little yucky from me putting ointment on him.

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Sjwr0DJH/image.jpeg

Please take a look at this image and tell me what's between your fingers that's pink/white with tiny blood vessels in it...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I parted the feathers to see the skin. It is his skin.

Please have another set of eyes take a look at this area.