Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an orange-winged Amazon (female) parrot. last 3 days

Customer Question

I have an orange-winged Amazon (female) parrot. For the last 3 days she has started sneezing. she is still eating and drinking and quite active. There is possible some clear liquid coming from her nasal11 if so, not much. I have her cage warm, using a warm humidifier (thinking it was just dry air) Is there something I can give her? I'm not sure where a veterinarian is that I could take her to? I live in a remote area. thanks
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. I understand your logistic constraints but I must tell you that it would be best if you could find an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org). Cracker's symptoms most often indicate respiratory infection which could have a bacterial, viral, or fungal etiology. A vitamin A deficiency might be a concomitant finding because a lack in that vitamin will cause changes in the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. I'm going to post my entire synopsis for you. Please peruse it and then return to our conversation with further questions or concerns:

It's important to note that once a parrot acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet. This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Cracker's symptoms of sneezing and nasal discharge are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Cracker's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken.

Until Cracker can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. The warm mist humidifier is a good idea. If she appears weakended to you (that doesn't seem to be the case) remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Crackers's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.