Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

What if my Conyer accidentally licked clorox

Customer Question

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Clorox (bleach) is a corrosive and can irritate/ulcerate mucous membranes in the oral cavity and rest of the gastrointestinal tract. There's no antidote to it and so we rinse out the mouth of our patients and force fluids in order to dilute any that may have found its way down the esophagus. See if you can look into Baby's mouth. If you don't see any redness and if Baby isn't salivating and is otherwise normal, there's no need for further attention. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.