Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have been searching the web on a sick female canary. I

Customer Question

Hi Doc. I have been searching the web for answers on a sick female canary. I have recently been devastated when I saw my famale canary, Scarlet losing a toe. I thought it was caused by a fight with the male that I separated them. ?she acted sick for a little while but never lost her appetite-so I was hopeful. She got slightly better when I found another toe missing - that was when I started worrying and went online. She has all the symptoms of Giardia. Her droppings appear like diarhhea. Found a medicine for it called: Ronivet S 12%. I starteed the med last Thursday for a week. I am crossing my fingers that she get better from there.
Is there anything you can add to this, I would greatly appreciate it,
PS Her upper beak does not look trimmed either. It appears sharp and pointed Like it could hurt itself if he is not careful. HELP
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Toe loss in canaries usually is due to avascular necrosis (dry gangrene) resulting from simple trauma. The blood supply to toes is easily disrupted. Lack of bleeding when a toe is lost is confirmatory of this lack of blood supply. There's no reason to believe that toe loss would be related to Scarlet's diarrhea, however. She may, indeed, suffer from Giardia, however, and bacterial infections needs to be considered as well in any diarrheic canary. I prefer to test the feces before treating with either an antibiotic or antiparasitic drug such as Ronivet. An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) can do this testing for you. Ronivet is, however, a reasonable treatment for protozoal infections in pet birds. Have you seen a positive response to it at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has exactly been a week today Dr. Salkin. The feces appear a bit more formed and the foot looks a little better. The swelling has ceased. She is still fluffed up all the time except when she is eating. Like I mentioned before. Scarlet retains her appetite and is active. She is just fluffed up when resting and her poo is still a little wet though better than it was before. her breathing appears more rapid than the male. And her beak is not trimmed

Thank you for the update. It sounds as if she's improved but not completely well. I would consider keeping Scarlet in an 85F environment and treating her for bacterial infection as prescribed by an avian vet to be given directly into her beak. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I think I'll do that. Now to find a good avian vet in my area. I'll keep you posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Salkin.

That's always a challenge. Start here: www.aav.org/

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.