Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

A parakeet her 1st egg on October 31. She's been producing

Customer Question

A parakeet laid her 1st egg on October 31. She's been producing eggs every other day. The 3rd egg was laid today, November 4th in the evening, with a little bit of stain of blood, though the first 2 eggs didn't have blood stain. And she has a partner.
It all started after I put a wooden shack with a hope that they'll enjoy just hanging out there or chew it and thinking to remove it if it would trigger their mating drive. However, I missed the chance to remove it and the female budgie; Daisy, had an egg.
After I checked the mother's belly and egg, I thought of removing the shack, but didn't want to do it as I was worried if it would affect her mentally and physically. Therefore, I left the shack and she laid her 1st and 2nd eggs. And she was holding them, and the partner was always next to her.
I was going to buy a nest box and cage for the couple, but last night, I found her with the 2 eggs hanging from her belly. I removed them with lukewarm water and found out they were cracked (seemed like the mother cracked). And, I read that it would not be too life threatening to remove the nest while the mother in egg production. And I decided to remove the shack.
But shortly after today (actually just now), I found an egg on the floor in the cage. The egg had a tiny bit of blood. Now, I am concerned if she's all ok.
I didn't plan to breed, but if there is no other choice or good for the mother to continue, I am ready to have her continue producing eggs. I am just hoping she's fine. At this moment, the priority is the mother's health.
I have 4 other buddies in the same cage, and they are pushed out of the cage by the father. 2 of them actually also make a couple and seem like they also want to have babies, but it's not a good time.
Please give me advice on how I can best ensure the mother's health as well as the other budgies.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. Not all experts are set up to do phone calls, and I am not. However, if you want, I can help you in this question and answer format. Let em know if you want to do that, or if you prefer to wait for a phone call. Thank you.