Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Budgie Parakeet named Lantern, I have 2 others but

Customer Question

I have a Budgie Parakeet named Green Lantern, I have 2 others but they are fine. I love my birds they have helped me through hard times. Well Green Lanterns left side large claw turned black and now has shriveled up and is about to fall off. He still plays and does everything else that the other 2 are doing accept hes always favoring that leg. I bought them the same size cage that they are housed in at the pet store because I wanted the best for them. I dont know what to do and the 3 vets around here will not take birds of any kind, please help me!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I understand your logistical constraints. The toe you're referring to is not uncommonly injured. Green Lantern's toe was traumatized to the point that the vascular supply to it was interrupted. Dry gangrene, then, arose resulting in the necrosis (tissue death) you're now seeing. You don't need to do anything because I expect it to fall off at some point and there shouldn't be any bleeding associated with that happening.

I do want to talk to you a little about their diet because nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has your birds' diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.