Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Goffin Cockatoo, Pica, decided to jump out of her cage as

Customer Question

My Goffin Cockatoo, Pica, decided to jump out of her cage as I was cleaning it. Then proceeded down the hallway with me chasing her. She decided to go through the railing along the hallway (not down the stairs) and landed in the front entry main level.
She seems ok with the exception of twitching one wing every once in a while. I was able to feel the wing and didn't notice or feel anything off compared to the other one. Help, I just lost a rescue yesterday due to kidney failure? I can try to upload a video
if needed
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vet on this site. Unfortunately, its nigh impossible for me to properly evaluate injured birds from here. May I have an update on Pica, please? Was she able to slow her fall with her wings? Have you carefully examined her head to toe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems to be ok, she is eating, dancing, drinking water, she stretches her wings but then does the little shake after. She is in the process of growing her wings (another rescue) so she cant really fly. My daughter was able to feel her wings and body, her wings feel the same on both sides.

(phew!) She sounds better than OK. Thank you for the good update and please thank your daughter for performing a good exam. Although unlikely at this point, watch for blood from any orifice, an increased respiratory rate (bleeding into the lungfields), and abdominal distension (bleeding into the abdomen). I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pica. How is everything going?