Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a flock of about 25 chickens, all various ages from 6

Customer Question

I have a flock of about 25 chickens, all various ages from 6 months to over 3 years. About a month ago one of the chickens died and I found a large egg-shaped lump on her front right breast.. Today I found another living chicken with a very similar egg-shaped lump on her right front breast..Is this something contagious that I should be concerned about spreading though out my flock?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is the egg shaped lump near the right breast hard and firm or kind of soft and mushy?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hard and firm I guess
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to feel it?

Likely it will feel mushy like oatmeal or sand and water, instead of an apple or orange in firmness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is hard and firm
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

Since this is hard and firm, then what is happening is these two chickens likely had a crop impaction. The sack just below the throat that holds food before it moves to the stomach is what you are seeing. If this is firm, that means the food is too packed together and not enough mositure is present. This can occur due to genetics, parasties, viruses, bacteria, or not drinking enough water (she's being kept away from the water source). What needs to be done is the crop needs to have water added to it and the crop manually massaged to mix the food with the water. Do not use oil never ever use oil, just water. A tube needs to be put down her throat 2-3 inches and water introduced then the firm area massaged until it is the same consistency as thick oatmeal. This is not a risk free procedure. If we get water into the airway, or too much water is used leading to food and water getting into the lungs can lead to aspiration pnuemonia which is fatal, the crop can also be accidentally torn with too much pressure. It is best to have a vet do this but water and massage is the way to get the food moving. If this works and the problem comes back you'll need to think about culling her or having a vet do a crop swab to discover the reason this keeps coming back in order to protect the rest of the flock. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan