Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I have a small flock of purebred chickens. Very healthy. I

Customer Question

I have a small flock of purebred chickens. Very healthy. I just got 9 3 month old cockerels and of course quarantined them. They had been stressed for 3 days traveling by car here. First day here one had a closed eye and the others were picking at it. I culled him. A few starting sneezing with clear bubbles in one eye. Culled them too. Culled a few others just because I only wanted to keep 2. I now have 2 left with no outward signs but a sneeze now and then. Thinking back I put them on clean but dusty small shavings. Am I paranoid and should cull the last two or is a little sneezing after a trip ok? I'm due for my first npip certification in 3 weeks.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now to hear that so many new birds have had staggered signs makes dusty/environmental causes less likely here. Instead, we would be most concerned about an infectious agent rearing its head in the wake of their recent stress. Therefore, you are right to keep isolating and barrier nursing these remaining birds at this point. You did not note how long you have been treating, but it is worth giving them at least a week or two to come around and settle (especially if their signs are mild).

Though if time is of the essence, you may want to have one or both birds checked by your local vet. They can help you narrow the cause for this (ie bacterial, viral, parasitic, protozoal, fungal, etc) and ensure you are targeting your treatment effectively to get these last 2 lads settled in time. Otherwise, if you are not keen to try the above, culling and deep cleaning of their hospitalization area would be indicated.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )