Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My parakeet, male, has a large growth surrounding s r ight

Customer Question

My parakeet, male, has a large growth surrounding his r ight eye, almost to the point of occluding the eye. the growth is lumpy, comprised of various mounds, is pink to dark pink in color. At the same time small growths have shown up on either side of his ceres, near the nostrils, with the same look. The bird is perhaps 2 years old, and still quite active. I want to take him to a vet, but as I have perhaps 130 parakeets in a very large outdoor aviary, my wife thinks we should allow nature to take its course. if the cause is bacterial, I do not want this spreading to the other members of the flock, particularly as I have about 10 nests with new fledglings in them, any recommendations?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

There's no reason to believe there's a bacterial etiology. You've described a skin cancer - most likely squamous cell carcinoma in that area on a parakeet. I've seen the scaly leg and face mite cause marked distortion on the face of parakeets but as an experienced keeper of an aviary, I know that you would recognize such a mite infestation. I agree with your wife. I can't see how an avian-oriented vet will be of help to Bellerophon. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.