Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My budgie was fine, flying around having fun and now all

Customer Question

My budgie was fine, flying around having fun and now all puffed up and seems short of breath. I think something is stuck in his throat. He was eating bits of carrots earlier and seeds. He's trying to cough it up. What can I do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on this site. Please let me know if you still need help. A bird can have food lodged in its oropharynx (back of the throat) or trachea but this isn't something a Heimlich maneuver would help. A vet has to explore those areas with a scope and manually extract the foreign body. If Cappy is still behaving as you've described, it would be prudent to have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) take a look at him. It's also possible that Cappy's exertion exacerbated symptoms of respiratory infection.