Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an outdoor aviary with cockatiels. I live in socal

Customer Question

I have an outdoor aviary with cockatiels. I live in socal California and a while ago i went to check on my birds and i found one of them females un able to balance on a perch. I got her out and put her in a small crate with food and water she drank some water and started to throw up a little bit later. She has her wings down and is having a hard time breathing. Her eyes are closed and she cannot balance herself. Please help
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site. As I'm sure you realize, once a bird acts ill they're quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because sick birds will be attacked in the wild. While her symptoms - inability to balance, vomiting, dyspnea (difficulty breathing) are important symptoms, none are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and without knowing the etiology of her behavior we can't know how best to treat her. Until she can be attended to by an avian-oriented vet, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered crate (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her crate or under a towel on the bottom of the crate. Remove all perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Please let me know if you happen to have an antibiotic with which you could dose her directly into her beak. Please tell me what her diet has consisted of.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and she died last night.

You're welcome. My condolences for your loss.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.