Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My Buff Orpington hen recently had a retained egg of some

Customer Question

My Buff Orpington hen recently had a retained egg of some sort. She was waddling around the coop, and eventually stopped eating and moving. I realized that she was covered in maggots when I picked her up to investigate. I removed as many as possible, and was able to gently pull out what appeared to be a papery eggshell. She seemed to perk up right away, and started walking around and grooming herself again. There appears to be necrotic tissue on a significant area on her side, beneath her right wing. I cleaned as much of the area as I could, and picked out many maggots with tweezers last night. The area looked pretty bleak, but seems to be a bit better today.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does the necrotic area have any signs of pus? Any odor?

Have you removed the fly eggs off her feathers too?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paperclip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.