Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Hen having breathing problems - have her kept warm and dry

Customer Question

Hen having breathing problems - have her kept warm and dry away from others. But getting worse - not eating/drinking. Have been giving her Sulmet (antibacterial) mixed with water by syringe.
This morning she is swollen and red and seems to be straining to poop, and has runny poo. What do I do now?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't many avian-oriented vets on the site. My difficulty from here is determining if Flower's "breathing problems" are due to respiratory infection or secondary to a problem elsewhere such as egg binding as evidenced by her straining and swelling. Has she still been laying up until now? The Sulmet is reasonable for addressing a respiratory infection but won't be of value in an egg bound bird. Do you have an avian-oriented vet available to you? I do understand that it's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of the bird's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The breathing problem has been happening for several days now, hence why I separated her from the others. The straining and swelling really only started yesterday, but is worse today. no there are no avian vets around here, hence trying to find answers online.
So is there nothing I can do? You are right about the expense and as this is costing me $40 already, it will be sad to pay so much for no result.

Please tell me if she had been laying prior to her recent difficulty. If so, I'll post a synopsis of how you might address egg binding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has been a good layer up to the breathing problem

Thank you. It's necessarily conjecture at this time but it's reasonable to assume that your description of her indicates egg binding. You can continue the Sulmet but please review the following for home care of egg binding: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing. I'll also opt out so other experts can enter the conversation with other ideas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you