Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I lost a bantam 12 hours ago and the other is dying as well.

Customer Question

I lost a bantam 12 hours ago and the other is dying as well. Lethargic, red eye but no discharge, almost white comb, will not eat or drink and can not walk. I'm afraid of it spreading to my egg laying hens. What can I do and can i save her?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this however you can't know how to address your hens until the cause of death is confirmed in the bantams. I recommend your sacrificing the dying bird and refrigerating (not freezing) it until you can bring it to your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory for necropsy. These labs are a cost-effective manner in which to determine cause of death and are indispensable for my poultry owners. If you don't have access to such a laboratory, the next best approach is to have an avian-oriented vet (please see www.aav.org) perform the necropsy.

Lethargy, a red eye, white comb (anemia), anorexia, and inability to walk are all important symptoms but none are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a last ditch effort I was hoping to get suggestions for maybe cocci or anything similar to give my flock the best defense and avoid further death.

I understand but without knowing what you're treating you can cause more problems than you began with by presumptively instituting antibiotics. I have no objection to your dosing with Corid (amprolium) to address coccidia + Wazine (piperazine) to address roundworms, however. I'll opt out which will give other avian experts a change to enter the conversation and perhaps offer alternatives for you.